Tuesday, November 3, 2009

On November 3, I made class!

Not once this semester has it been so hard to make it to class, to get out of bed really. The stress of the last few days caught up with me. But I did make it, even a few minutes early. Two and a half hours later, I had a whole stack of paper with a wide array of designs. We are beginning a new project in my 2-D Design class, this one dealing with texture. The first part of class was spent doing rubbings (just like we did in elementary school) from anything we could find with an interesting surface: bricks, grates, trees, signs, and on and on. It was fun and I filled up at least a dozen pages within a few minutes. Then we did a few other techniques, including etching through black paint to pastels colored underneath (just like elementary school) and printing with linoleum blocks. The results (and/or other things) will go into a collage design of a fantasy creature (monster). Here are a few of the designs I made today.











3 comments:

  1. A great challenge is to try to draw all of these rubbing textures. Make a bunch of one or two inch squares and draw with pencil. Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! I have done this with my high school students. And if you tell them ahead of time all creativity stops! They then try to find simple things, easy lines, etc.... I find I do the same thing sometimes, repeat the past, do what comes easier and never growing. I wish you the best of luck on your 30 day quest. One step at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made class and you did art for another day. Keep going. It all pays off in the end.

    ReplyDelete